A rare opportunity to join our team as a Carer Coach has become available.
The Carer Coach delivers services that provide families and carers of people living with an eating disorder:
- Education and
- Skill development
- Peer Mentor Training and Supervision
Provision of these opportunities assists the carer to fulfil their caring role while maintaining their own health and wellbeing.
These services may be provided in the context of early intervention or ongoing support.
- Explicitly targeted at carers and families
- Family and carer programs
- Single Session Family-focused early intervention services
- Carer Peer Mentoring Program – Training and supporting carers who have a lived experience to become Peer Mentors for families engaged in supporting a loved one. Recognising the value of lived experience in a meaningful and non-clinical way through practical support and shared experiences.
By our definition a ‘carer’ is anyone supporting an individual with an eating disorder; a parent, sibling, partner, best friend, grandparent, health professional, school counsellor, chaplain or other significant people in the individual’s life.
This position operates within a collaborative team environment that is responsive to the needs of carers and is committed to continuous improvement and best practice principles.
The Carer Coach is also required to work within the Vision and Mission of Eating Disorders Queensland (EDQ) and contribute to organisational objectives.
About Eating Disorders Qld
Eating Disorders Queensland is a community-based organisation providing therapeutic groups, counselling, carer coaching and peer mentoring, as well as information and referral services, to people with eating disorders, their carers, families and loved ones.
Our Values: Nurture, Empowerment, Integrity, Innovation, and Collaboration.
- Valuing Relationships, self-care, care and connection through engagement and capacity building.
- Strong collaborative, shared decisions making environment.
- Respectful recovery orientated, empowerment and strengths-based, solution-focused processes that promote empowerment, self-determination, inclusion and choice.
- Promoting individual and social and family systems change as well as prevention.
- Valuing each person, carers, loved ones and the lived experience.
- Recognising the interactive impact of individual factors, family factors (including genetics), socio-cultural factors, and gender on the development, maintenance and prevention of eating disorders.
- We value the important role that medical and psychiatric services can have in recovery from an eating disorder and offer our services as a partner as well as alternative to the medical model, depending on client need.
- Work health and safety (WHS) responsibilities: All employees are required to take reasonable care for their own health and safety and that of other personnel who may be affected by their conduct.
Key Selection Criteria – Please respond to these
- Hold a professional qualification in a humanities/health-related discipline and experience working in facilitation/coaching/support roles related to Mental Health.
- Work in line with EDQ’s policies and procedures
- Provides information about eating disorders, internal and external support/treatment options available
- Maintain and develop resources
- Participate in community education activities
- Work with carers to develop positive, suitable strategies and action plans and provide them with tools which will assist them as they support their loved one
- Have knowledge of Motivational Interviewing, Solution-Focused Strategies or Single Session Consultation/Single Session Family Consultation methods
- Provide Single Session Coaching/ Single Session Family Consultation – assisting carers in identifying and targeting key concerns
- Maintain a client database, inclusive of contact notes, measurement tools and statistics.
- Demonstrated experience in support group facilitation and developing and delivering Psychoeducation programs
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate skills-based workshops and support group programs and produce reports and presentations to share results.
- This role could require you to work across the Carer Peer Mentor Program, which involves ongoing recruitment of Mentors/Mentees, program promotion and delivery, and organising and facilitating Mentor and Mentee groups.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, and excellent engagement skills, especially in engaging carers and family members impacted by eating disorders.
- A record of accomplishment of working collaboratively and the demonstrated capacity to liaise with internal and external stakeholders
- Support innovative state-wide service delivery, therefore some interstate travel will be required at times.
This position reports to the General Manager and will have supervision with the Senior Practitioner.
The Carer Coach will also supervise students and volunteers in line with university requirements and assigned projects.
All positions offered by EDQ are conditional on recurrent funding from the Qld Government, therefore EDQ offers fixed-term contracts in line with funding timelines.
The Carer Family Coach must possess:
- The Queensland Police National Police Records Check;
- The Queensland Working with Children Check (renewed every 5 years)
- The Queensland ‘Yellow Card’ Application for criminal history screening
Key Role Details:
Title: Eating Disorders – Carer Coach
Hours: 30 hours per week
Award: Queensland Transitional Pay Equity Order (TPEO) (incorporating the QLD Regulation and DIV 2B QCSCA, SCHADS Award 2010)
Classification: Level 4.3
How to apply for this job
Interested in joining our team? Applications must comprise:
A one-page cover letter addressed to the General Manager summarising relevant experience and skills for the role, with contact details for 3 referees.
A resume, maximum of 3 pages,
Response to selection criteria contained in the job description, not more than 2 pages.
Applications are invited from Australian citizens or persons with full Australian residency status, with relevant experience.
Applications by email only – email@example.com, using the subject line: Carer Coach – Eating Disorders application as soon as possible. We will be conducting interviews as we receive applications.
PLEASE NOTE: This role is not set up as a psych registrar program. Psych registrars may apply, but EDQ does not have the capacity to provide internal registrar supervision.